I’ve received numerous messages from people asking how to get into the entertainment industry. I wrote a similar blog about getting your business started a little while ago but I hope this will give you more insight on how to get started in this particular field. Although, my experiences within the “industry” have taken me on a different path, I am still happy to share my knowledge of the best way to get your foot in the door.
- Make sure you know who you are. This means that you need to be sure of exactly how you want to be perceived by people. The entertainment industry has a way of taking a person and completely turning them into someone else outside of their character. Make sure you know who you are so that you can go in with a firm mind so that you won’t be easily persuaded to attain fame and wealth by doing something or portray something you’re not.
- You are your own brand so get some photos taken and market yourself on various platforms such as social media. Also, get yourself a “comp” card (composite card). This is your entertainment business card so it’s really important to have.
- Whatever your craft is, make sure you work hard at perfecting it on a daily basis and record yourself performing your craft. You could even post your recordings on youtube and other social media outlets so others can see what your talent is.
- Network and surround yourself with people who have similar goals. Don’t be afraid to ask for help.
- Do some research! The best thing I have ever done was take the time and initiative to research as much as I could until I made valuable connections with people who were able to help take my career to the next level.
- Go to auditions and even participate in non-paid events so you can gain some experience. You can find auditions online.
- Create a website that displays your work and give away free samples of your work to create a buzz.
- Make sure you’re ready to sacrifice! It takes much sacrifice in order to be successful in any field. If you aren’t ready to put in the work, then you aren’t ready for success.
- Stop thinking that you have to change who you are just to make it. This goes back to the first point I made. Instagram models are just what they are, JUST INSTAGRAM MODELS. They come and they go. You don’t have to change who you are just to be famous. It doesn’t make sense to blend in with everyone else anyway. Stand out and be you! That’ll be enough.
FYI: Ummm ladies, when you’re trying to get into this business and don’t want to be perceived as a “video vixen” type woman, stop turning around to show your butt in every picture you take a post. We all know what a butt looks like so you aren’t showing us anything new when you continuously use your behind as your best “asset.”
I hope this gives you a better idea of what it takes to get your foot in the door in the entertainment industry. This is not even half of it but it’s a good starting point. Be true to yourself, do the work, and you’ll be fine!